The leaves are turning crisp and the kids are heading back to school—must be about time for Prince Albert and Princess Charlene of Monaco to once again publicly tell the world that they’re still married.
“Charlene is always by my side,” Prince Albert told Italian news outlet Corriere della Serra, per a translation published in People, denying that his wife had moved abroad, amongst persistent rumors of a marital split. “We received the new French ambassador to Monaco together on Tuesday at the palace. We were together at the Casino Square for the Princess of Monaco Cup golf competition.”
“I don’t understand all these rumors, which hurt me, about us,” he said. “That she lives elsewhere. Lives in Switzerland. That we meet only by appointment. They’re lies.”
He said that Charlene “had some difficulties many months ago,” referencing recent health struggles, “but now thank goodness she’s over it and is always by my side. She supports me in leading the Principality, but we’re not attached to each other 24 hours a day. We’re a working couple and sometimes that only allows us to see each other at the end of a long day full of appointments.”
Charlene, in a rare interview, told outlet Monaco Matin (per a translation from the Daily Mail) that she felt “serene and happy” after a three-week family vacation to Corsica, where she taught the couple’s 8-year-old twins, Prince Jacques and Princess Gabriella to swim. Charlene, 45, is a former Olympic swimmer. According to the Daily Mail, Charlene also said she would no longer address the rumors of a split, in hopes that they would go away.
And, true to Albert’s word, Charlene and Albert did see each other, as well as Jacques and Gabriella, at Saturday’s “U Cavagnetu” picnic in Monaco, a traditional end-of-summer celebration that dates back to 1931 and includes a mass, celebrations, and noshing. Nothing says “welcome, fall!” like a good nosh.
Last year, in an interview with People, Albert called the celebration “really nice.”
Listen to Vanity Fair’s DYNASTY podcast now.